Speaking up is an art. Anyone can talk loudly and often. The art of speaking up is about speaking in a way that makes a difference and accomplishes your intentions. Here are some ways you can develop your skill in the art of speaking up.
• Never speak while your emotions are out of control – when you do, it always ends up wrong
• Choose your words intentionally to maximize others’ understanding of what you are saying
• Let your words reflect your emotional intelligence regarding the people you are communicating to
• Think out the possible ramifications of speaking up before you do – weigh the risks and benefits
• When something is important to you, believe in yourself and in your reasons for speaking up
• Be clear regarding what you want to accomplish by speaking up
Speaking up is an essential component of leadership. Do it wisely and well.
photo: marin, FreeDigitalPhotos.net