You’ll work better, faster and more effectively when you are fully present to what you are doing. Here are 10 ways to help you do it.
1. Work on one thing at a time, for a part of each day, to get accustomed to how it feels.
2. Schedule one task or meeting at a time. Don’t let people double-book you on your calendar. If they do, make a choice as soon as you see it, regarding what you will do during that time.
3. Work on your focus. When you are working on a task, honestly assess how focused you are on it.
4. If something distracts you, make a judgment either to allow the distraction and stop what you are doing or say no to it and resume what you are doing.
5. Be honest with yourself about time. Don’t try to do two days of work in one day.
6. Start recognizing what happens to you when you move out of the present moment (e.g. your stress starts rising, your mind wanders, you look for other things to do). Be aware of when these things happen.
7. Find a good book or video on mindfulness.
8. Give people your full attention when interacting with them (phone, in-person, e mail, text).
9. Complete your priority tasks first and know the time of day that you are at your best.
10. Find an exercise to practice that helps you bring yourself back to the present moment.
photo: Stuart Miles, FreeDigitalPhotos.net