I guess you can manage your team without prioritizing, but what a ride that is! How do you prioritize your work and make sure that you and your team meet your goals? Best to find a way that works for you, or your prioritizing will become a burden and ineffective. Here are some things to consider in finding the best way to prioritize your work.
• Have a realistic sense of the time available to you and what you can get done.
• Align your priorities with those of your organization and customers and, if conflicts arise, address them.
• Make the hard choices regarding what is most important. There are so many demands on our time, that these choices are inevitable.
• Be clear about priorities with your team – no mixed messages, unrealistic deadlines or conflicting priorities.
• Don’t slack off. Keep stated priorities front and center for you and your team. If priorities change, inform your team and set a new course.
• Develop a “system” for prioritizing work – a process for communicating priorities, revisiting them when necessary, receiving team feedback, keeping a record and tracking progress.
An effective way of prioritizing your work gives you a level of control, a way to create efficiency, a path to achieving your goals and a little peace of mind.
photo: Stuart Miles, FreeDigitalPhotos.net